Sunday, July 5, 2020

Meditations on JOYFUL MYSTERIES of the Rosary


JOYFUL MYSTERIES

The Annunciation – Fruit of Humility

Mary said yes. God was asking a great amount of her. She could face disapproval. Joseph could abandon her. She might not be believed. Mary risked a lot because she had faith in God’s goodness. I imagine her kneeling in wonderment at the angel Gabriel, his hands encompassing hers, his forehead pressed against hers as he tells her of God’s great plan. She whispers “yes” knowing that her life is forever changed and possibly going to be much harder. She allows God’s will to be done and with that fiat the salvation of the world is set in motion. I pray that I can put God’s will before my own.

The Visitation – Love of Neighbor
Newly pregnant, Mary walks several days to visit her cousin Elizabeth. She is greeted with great joy and exclaims her Magnificat. While knowing that all will call her blessed, she spends several months serving Elizabeth. I imagine her performing the tasks of life so that Elizabeth, in her third trimester when the physical burden of pregnancy is greatest, can rest. Despite her own possible exhaustion and morning sickness, she serves her cousin. I imagine them at the end of the day sitting together and sharing their feelings about these two miraculous babies. I pray that I can serve as Mary did.

The Nativity – Poverty of Spirit

Mary and Joseph are far from home and she is about to give birth. They find nowhere to stay. Rather than panicking, they rely on God who leads them to a safe, warm place for his son’s birth. I imagine their worry but also their sense of calm. They know God cares for them and he will not abandon them on this holy journey. As the angels announce Jesus’ birth and the shepherds come to pay him homage, Mary and Joseph are surrounded by God’s love. I pray for the grace to depend on God completely.

Presentation in the Temple – Obedience

Mary and Joseph obey the law and bring their newborn son to the temple and offer a sacrifice. There they meet Simeon who has waited many years to meet the Messiah. I imagine Simeon gazing at Jesus. The Christ for whom he has waited has arrived just as God promised. He raises his eyes to heaven in thanks. He also warns Mary that her own heart will be pierced. She continues to trust God, not knowing what lies ahead. I pray for trust in God’s plan and patience in waiting for it to unfold.

Finding Jesus in the Temple – Piety

After not knowing where he was for three days, Mary and Joseph find Jesus in the temple. I imagine the fear they felt when they realized Jesus was not with them as they returned from Jerusalem. I imagine how scared they felt as they looked for him and the increasing anxiety they experience as time passed. At last they find him in his father’s home. What relief and joy. We look for Jesus too and we can always find him in church. He is there waiting for us. I pray that I will not find reasons to avoid visiting Jesus regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

PRAYER TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY

PRAYER TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY O Mary, Virgin most powerful and Mother of mercy, Queen of Heaven and Refuge o...